Friday, September 5, 2008

The Beet Cake Recipe

I believe this is from a Moosehead cookbook:

Ingredients:

15 ounce can of sliced beets (I would guess you could use roasted beets with some beet juice)
3 eggs
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup unbleached flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously oil the baking pan.

Drain the beets, reserving 1/2 cup of the juice. In a blender, puree the beets with the reserved juice to make about 1 1/4 cups of puree. Set aside.

In a large bowl beat the eggs well. Thoroughly whisk in the sugar, oil, vanilla, salt and beet puree until very smooth.

In a separate bowl sift together the flour, cocoa and baking soda.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients a little bit at a time whisking until smooth.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 - 45 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool.

Serve topped with confectioners sugar, whipped cream or frosting.

6 comments:

spacedlaw said...

This sounds very strange but I am willing to give it a try. I'll let you know about the results and tasting session...
Thanks for sharing.

Jess said...

Hooray! I'm surprised that the beets aren't there to replace the 1 1/2 cups of sugar, though-- I'm really interested to try this out and see what they do.

Thanks! :)

AletaMay said...

I have eaten it, though I have never made it. It was very good. It had a kind of earthiness. I had trouble guessing what the secret ingredient was. Oh and it is actually called "Red Devil Cake."

Now that it has cooled down here I may try to make it soon!

spacedlaw said...

In what form is your vanilla? Is that vanialla extract or vanilla sugar? or something else altogether?

AletaMay said...

I am sorry -- it is vanilla extract!

spacedlaw said...

Am making one of these right now (it's in the oven). It will be a great mystery cake to mystify my colleagues with.
:)